resident awarded bachelor degree
Maritza Antonetty of Northampton recently received a bachelor of business administration in general business through Berkeley College Online.
More than 1,700 students from Berkeley College locations in New Jersey and New York and Berkeley College Online received baccalaureate and associate degrees in 2012. It was the largest graduating class in the history of the college.
The Borough of Northampton and its police officers have reached an agreement concerning a new contract covering wages and benefits for its 10-member uniformed police force.
Borough Manager Gene Zarayko made the announcement at a recent borough council meeting.
The police officers have been working without a contract since Jan. 1, the day after the former three-year contract expired. Police are not permitted by state law to strike.
Zarayko, who believed a new contract...
Northampton police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Officers responded to a report of two vehicle tires punctured in the 1700 block of Franklin Street.
· A hit-and-run motor vehicle crash brought officers to the 2000 block of Main Street.
· Police responded to the theft of a string trimmer in the 800 block of Main Street.
· A report of a burglary brought officers to the 500 block of East 12th Street.
The Borough of Northampton is hosting its first ever electronic recycling event.
It will take place 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, in front of the municipal building at Laubach Avenue and Smith Lane.
According to Borough Manager Gene Zarayko, any electronic item with a cord will be accepted. The public is invited to bring used laptops, computers, television sets and any other equipment they want to discard.
Zarayko added the event is "completely free."
Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Police were called to the 100 block of Front Street to investigate a report of a disorderly juvenile.
· Officers responded to a report of a suspicious man in the 800 block of Chapel Street.
· A report of a loose dog brought police to the 600 block of Green Street.
· Police were called to the 1100 block of Howertown Road to investigate a motor vehicle crash.
At a summer carnival or on a stop at the grocery store, I see an acquaintance across the lawn or down the aisle. I offer a warm smile and a "Hey, how are you?"
A friendly conversation ensues and all the while I am frantically trying to remember the person's name and sometimes even how I met her.
If I am lucky, she will steer the conversation in the direction of recalling a shared event or a mutual friend, helping me to recall where we met, but still, the...
A century has come and gone at the North-ampton Liederkranz.
To celebrate, on Aug. 18 the Liederkranz will host an evening of music, ethnic food and talk about what life was like in the villages of Burgenland, Austria, with which it has close ties.
The Joe Weber Orchestra will entertain the crowd with polka favorites. Rock and roll music, a deejay and ethnic food such as bratwurst will also be offered.
"We wanted to get it right in our planning," said club Secretary Matt...