The Northampton Exchange Club is pursuing a $10,000 grant from a local nonprofit marketing company.
If approved, the money will be used to provide image makeover services.
The grant would show local organizations that the Exchange Club is interested in continuing to reach out to the community, individuals and worthy causes.
In other business at a recent meeting, the club decided to form a new committee called the orientation committee.
Robert Correll and John...
St Peter's United Church of Christ, Seemsville, will hold a bingo for Vera Bradley purses and accessories on Saturday, Sept. 29, 1 p.m., at the church, 8142 Valley View Road.
For tickets and directions, call Sheila at 610-837-1533 or the church at 610-837-7426.
East Allen Township is now accepting sign-ups for its fall soccer program for boys and girls ages 5 to 12.
Registration will be held Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., at the municipal building...
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Open to all model railroaders ages 14 and older. Information: Dick Lobach at 610-965-2598.
· Al-Anon Family Support Group meeting – 7-9 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, corner of Tilghman and Cedar Crest, Allentown. For adult children of alcoholics and dysfunctional families. Information: 610-395-3781.
· Bingo – doors open 5:30 p.m....
Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Police were called to the 1000 block of Grape Street to investigate a disabled vehicle.
· Officers responded to a report of suspicious activity in the 3200 block of Parkview Drive.
· A report of criminal mischief brought police to Presidential Drive.
· Officers assisted EMS in the 1300 block of MacArthur Road.
· A report of a DUI brought police to the Wawa on MacArthur Road....
Among the environmental losses that rarely make the news, our world's firefly populations are dropping like – leaves?
Fireflies aren't actually "flies," but luminous beetles. About 2,000 species of them exist globally, in the "shining" family Lampyridae.
In the mid-Atlantic, this summer, wet weather brightened prospects for the region's firefly species, which prefer damp soils. Worldwide, however, scientists report a steady plummet of firefly numbers as their woodland habitats...
resident awarded bachelor degree
Maritza Antonetty of Northampton recently received a bachelor of business administration in general business through Berkeley College Online.
More than 1,700 students from Berkeley College locations in New Jersey and New York and Berkeley College Online received baccalaureate and associate degrees in 2012. It was the largest graduating class in the history of the college.
The Borough of Northampton and its police officers have reached an agreement concerning a new contract covering wages and benefits for its 10-member uniformed police force.
Borough Manager Gene Zarayko made the announcement at a recent borough council meeting.
The police officers have been working without a contract since Jan. 1, the day after the former three-year contract expired. Police are not permitted by state law to strike.
Zarayko, who believed a new contract...