Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Police were called to the 100 block of Front Street to investigate a report of a disorderly juvenile.
· Officers responded to a report of a suspicious man in the 800 block of Chapel Street.
· A report of a loose dog brought police to the 600 block of Green Street.
· Police were called to the 1100 block of Howertown Road to investigate a motor vehicle crash.
· Officers assisted the North Catasauqua Police Department in the 1000 block of Lehigh Street.
If you live in the suburbs or if you have the opportunity to drive along country roads, I hope you take the time to enjoy the varieties of colors and species of wildflowers growing along the highways and byways.
Many of them are listed as invasive, but they tend to brighten up my travels from home to local destinations.
The Super 2 Challenge, as it has unofficially been called, began in fall of 1998 as a result of the break-up of the East Penn Conference.
In desperate need of independent games for the 1998-99 season, the five remaining conference members (Allen, Becahi, CCHS, Dieruff and Emmaus) developed a challenge concept pitting the EPC against the Philadelphia Catholic League in a variety of sports. The sports selected for that first year were cross-country, field hockey, boys soccer, boys basketball, girls basketball, wrestling, baseball, softball and track.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Open to all model railroaders ages 14 and older. Information: Dick Lobach at 610-965-2598.
· Al-Anon Family Support Group meeting – 7-9 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, corner of Tilghman and Cedar Crest, Allentown. For adult children of alcoholics and dysfunctional families. Information: 610-395-3781.
· Bingo – doors open 5:30 p.m. Games begin at 7 p.m., Petersville Rod and Gun Club, Moore Township. Information: 610-261-2210.
Bethlehem's Jeremy Galyon stars in the opera, "Susannah," 7:30 p.m. Aug. 10 and 3 p.m. Aug. 12 in the Berks Opera Workshop and the Fall Festival of the Arts production, WCR Center for the Arts, 140 N. 5th St., Reading.
Carlisle Floyd's masterpiece was inspired by Appalachian folk songs, hymns and opera melodies. It was written during the 1950's McCarthy Era and inspired by the biblical Apocrypha.
In the opera's plot, Susannah is an innocent young person targeted by closed-minded hypocrites and preyed upon by a corrupt leader.
U.S. AIR FORCE
Christman promoted to senior airman
Tyler S. Christman has been promoted to the rank of senior airman in the U.S. Air Force.
Christman is a medical laboratory specialist assigned to the 59th Medical Wing at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. He has served in the military for three years.
He is the son of Ann Kolodich and the grandson of Carol Christman, both of Catasauqua, and the son of Rodney Christman of Lehigh Township.
Christman is a 2008 graduate of Catasauqua High School.
Sacred Heart School, located in Bath, will hold its yearly registration and kindergarten open house Aug. 9 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The school has openings for its full-day kindergarten class. Students must be 5 years old as of Oct. 15. Sacred Heart also has openings in grades 1 to 8. The school's small class size promotes individualized instruction.
Applications are available in the school office.
Call 610-837-6391 for more information, to schedule a tour or to register.
Lehigh Township Athletic Association softball team won four titles this year.
The 18U Parkland League team finished the spring 2012 regular season 10-4-1, which seeded them in sixth place going into the playoffs.
The team overcame some late-season, tough losses to regroup and take charge entering the playoffs by defeating Alton Park (#3 seed) in the first round, SPYA (#2 seed) in the second round and Hokey (#1 seed) in the championship game in two-straight games.