Catherine R. Henzel, 86, of Whitehall and formerly of Catasauqua, died Dec. 19, 2013, at Gracedale, Nazareth. She was the wife of Carl R. Henzel.
Born in Catasauqua, she was a daughter of the late Vendel and Elizabeth (Zayatz) Duracinsky.
She and her husband owned and operated the former Front Street Tavern.
In addition to her husband, she is survived by a son, Carl Jr. of Whitehall; a daughter, Sheryl and her husband Stephen Keppel of Schnecksville; and a brother, Paul and his wife Ethel Duracinsky of Emmaus.
Joseph S. Polakovich, 74, of Hanover Township, died Dec. 16, 2013, at Muhlenberg Hospital, Bethlehem. He was the husband of Patricia (Lahuta) Polakovich for 46 years.
Born in Lehighton, he was a son of the late Joseph R. and Josephine (Hansut) Polakovich.
He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Enterprise.
He was a line mechanic for Mack Trucks.
North Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· Police responded to a report of a reckless driver on Front, Second and Third streets.
· Officers were called to the 1100 block of Front Street to investigate a report of an unwanted guest.
· A report of a loose dog brought police to the 800 block of Locust Street.
· Officers assisted EMS in the 1000 block of Fourth Street.
· A report of a loud noise brought police to the 1200 block of Third Street.
Back on Sunday, Oct. 6, head varsity football coach of Moore Township, Keith Zechman, got his 100th career win. Zechman has seen many changes in his 15 years of service to the program - in commissioners, coaches, and even leagues - yet through it all, he remains a shining example of dedication, perseverance, and sportsmanship. As a leader, he knew when to push the kids a little harder, and when to give them a kind word. His technique has brought out the best in many athletes.
Carol Ann Zwitkowits, 69, of Whitehall, died Dec. 14, 2013, in Sebring, Fla. She was the wife of James H. Zwitkowits for 47 years.
Born in Allentown, she was a daughter of Marjorie (Arner) Barlok of Whitehall and the late Paul Barlok.
She worked for many years at the General Cinemas and Carmike Theatres.
She was a member of St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church.
She enjoyed activities, such as reading and knitting, at the Lehigh County Senior Center.
The Whitehall police responded to these and other calls recently.
·A report of a package sent containing blow darts brought officers to the 3100 block of St. Stephens Lane.
· A motor vehicle crash brought officers to the 800 block of Sixth Street.
· Police responded to the theft of a wallet and backpack from a vehicle on West Union Street.
· Officers were called to the 5000 block of Fox Run Lane to investigate a report of a GPS unit stolen from a vehicle.
· An alarm summoned police to the 3400 block of North Quarry Street.
Students from Moore Elementary School decorated a live Christmas tree now on display at the second-level passenger terminal at Lehigh Valley International Airport. "The decorations add a local flavor to the season," said Ashley Hari, marketing specialist for the airport authority.
· Delaware, Lehigh & Susquehanna Model Railroad Club meeting – 7-9 p.m., Coplay Borough Hall, Fourth and Center streets. Open to all model railroaders ages 14 and older. Information: Dick Lobach at 610-965-2598.
· Duplicate bridge invitational – 12:30 p.m., Lehigh County Senior Citizens Center, 1633 Elm St., Allentown. Information: 610-437-3700.
· Pinochle – 7 p.m., Trexler Room, Lehigh County Senior Center, 1633 W. Elm St., Allentown. $1.50 per person. Information: 610-437-3700.
Patricia A. Seier, 64, of Lenharts-ville, died Dec. 13, 2013, in Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown. She was the wife of Leo P. Seier for more than 40 years.
Born in Sacramento, Calif., she was a daughter of the late Arthur Gebo and Bernice (Vierstra) Gebo Feddema.
She worked in the patient accounts department of Lehigh Valley Hospital for 23 years before retiring.
Ruth L. Laubach, 87, of Topton, died Dec. 18, 2013, at The Lutheran Home, Topton. She was the wife of the late Rev. Howard E. Laubach.
Born in Egypt, she was a daughter of the late Samuel and Stella (Souders) Falk.
She was a 1947 graduate of the former Allentown Hospital School of Nursing.
She was a member of Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Egypt.