The Allentown Fair is seeking contestants for the 2013 Fair Queen Contest in August.
Contestants should be between ages the 16 and 20 and must reside in Lehigh, Berks or Northampton counties.
For information, go to Allentownfairpa.org.
The Fair Queen will receive a $1,000 scholarship. She will participate in the Pennsylvania State Fair Queen Contest, where she will have the opportunity to win a $2,000 scholarship.
For information, contact email@example.com.
Janice E. Mosser, 87, formerly of Whitehall and Zephyr Hills, Fla., died May 10, 2013, in the Phoebe Home, Allentown. She was the wife of the late William S. Mosser.
Born in Allentown, she was a daughter of the late Paul and Margaret (Heiney) Deiley.
She was a member of the Hokendauqua Playground Association, Whitehall Women's Club, and the Red Hat Ladies. She belonged to several card clubs and Mah Jong groups.
Korean War veterans who served their country honorably may be eligible for a Certificate of Appreciation from the U.S. Secretary of Defense, according to state Sen. Pat Browne, R-16th.
Any veteran who served in Korea between June 25, 1950, and July 27, 1953, may be eligible for this citation, signed by the secretary of defense.
To receive a certificate, a veteran must submit the following information: full legal name as used on military records; current mailing address; branch of service; rank at time of service in Korea; and, the general time period of service in Korea.
Photos of the May 3 high school string concert
Don Heiney has announced he is running for re-election to the East Allen Township Board of Supervisors.
Born in 1952 and raised on the family farm in North Whitehall Township, he and his wife settled in East Allen Township in 1998. He has worked for 40 years in the IT support industry, has taught computer sciences at a local college and served as an independent computer consultant for the last nine years.
Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A report of loud music brought police to the 300 block of Mulberry Street.
· Officers assisted EMS in the 200 block of Front Street.
· Police were called to the 300 block of High Street to investigate a report of a disturbance.
· A motor vehicle crash brought officers to the 300 block of Mulberry Street.
· Officers responded to a report of a suspicious phone call in the 400 block of Race Street.
Caroline M. Achey, 89, of Cherryville and formerly of Northampton, died May 12, 2013, at the Mahoning Valley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Lehighton. She was the wife of the late Max I. Achey for 57 years.
Born in Nesquehoning, she was a daughter of the late John and Emma (Race) Heffelfinger.
North Catasauqua police responded to these and other calls recently.
· A report of a disturbance brought police to the 600 block of Walnut Street.
· Officers responded to a theft in the 1100 block of Second Street.
· Police were called to Fourth and Buttonwood streets to investigate a report of a lost motorist.
· Officers assisted the Coplay Police Department in the 1000 block of Chestnut Street.
· A solicitation complaint brought police to the 400 block of Buttonwood Street.