Doing good deeds for the community
On Feb. 11, local members of Quota International gathered at Northampton Banquet & Event Center and celebrated 100 years of Quota International.
Quota International is currently in 14 countries with more than 3,000 members.
The 17 members of Quota of Northampton continue the idea of bringing various talents, professions and ideas to help the needs of the hearing impaired, the deaf and disadvantaged women and children in the Northampton area.
In October 2018, Quota International of Northampton celebrated 90 years of service in the borough, with dignitaries like Mayor Thomas Reenock; state Rep. Zach Mako, R-183rd; and Region 6 Director of Quota Ashley Welch, who covers the area of New York, Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania.
Quota International is a nonprofit organization empowering women, children, the deaf and hearing impaired. It was founded in 1919 in Buffalo, N.Y., by Wanda Frey Joiner. It was the first women’s service organization in the United States, and the Northampton club was founded in 1928.
Throughout its history, Quota of Northampton has made numerous contributions to the welfare of society through sense of fellowship and through its programs, which are designed to enhance the quality of life for all.
In Northampton, it includes the following:
• Buying Christmas gifts for more than 30 children in the local community and running a Santa shop for members of families who benefit from the Northampton Area Food Bank
• Organizing and distributing 10 Easter baskets filled with the contents for a full Easter celebration dinner
• Helping the hearing impaired and deaf with batteries or services to better their lives
• Offering a scholarship to someone who is deaf or is going into a related field like speech therapy or audiology
• Sponsor a room at Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley
• Providing monetary contributions to the local library, area fire companies and local food banks and for international events like the floods in Florida and the Philippines
If you would like more information about Quota International or would like to be a part of something great in Northampton, contact Anita Achey at 610-984-5187.