Tour, service are planned at Horner’s Cemetery May 27
Horner’s Cemetery Historical Society has announced the 10th-year anniversary of the restoration and maintenance project at Horner’s Cemetery by offering free tours from May 26 until the end of October.
Also, noon May 27, the Sons of Veterans, Union soldiers will hold a short memorial service in the cemetery to honor the 21 veterans from four wars, with 19 soldiers from the American Revolution. One Civil War veteran lost his life due to this country’s conflict and his service to preserve the Union.
There will be a tour of the cemetery offered for those who are interested.
For the rest of the year, there will be individual and group tours, as well as for school children and Scout troops, offered many days and times.
For more information regarding tours, contact Peggy Moser at 610-837-1757.
Horner’s Cemetery (1745) is the oldest cemetery in Northampton County. It is located on Route 329 between Bath and Northampton. Its location is in the center of Craig’s Scotch-Irish Settlement (1728), which includes the towns of Northampton and Bath and the land in East Allen and Allen townships.
Craig’s Scotch-Irish Settlement is the earliest, longest, permanent settlement between the Blue and South mountains. The birth of the Lehigh Valley could not have started at a better place. Religious freedom, land ownership and fertile ground made a good start for the pre-Colonial settlement.
About 12 brave families cleared the land to farm. The logs they cut became their building material for their first homes. As time progressed, the drafty log cabins became high maintenance. Some settlers then used the stones in the field to build more substantial homes in this area.
The first generation established the oldest congregation and church in 1730 and 1731. The settlers lived here among the Native Americans for 35 years. It was the death of Jane Horner in October 1763 in this settlement — and the deaths of others in other settlements in Pennsylvania — that brought the end of the French and Indian War.
In honor of Jane Horner, the Allen Township Presbyterian Cemetery is called Horner’s Cemetery. Other important family names are Craig, Walker, McNair, King, Grey, Clendenin, Lattimore, Ralston, Brown, Allison, Boyd, Clyde, Rosbrough, Hemphill, Humphrey, Hays, Palmer and Wilson.
Some roads in Allen Township bear their names, as well as in Palmer Township. Some of their homes still stand and have been identified, as well as all their tombstones. In a one-acre cemetery, there are seven esquires, four doctors, three ministers and delegates to the Constitutional Convention and Continental Congress.