Changes to middle school project authorized
Additions to the $80.7-million Northampton Area Middle School and Secondary Campus Renovation Project have been approved by the Northampton Area School Board.
The changes will provide new lights at Al Erdosy Stadium and a yet-to-be built athletic field on the site of Northampton Area Middle School, which is to be demolished; a new marquee sign in front of Northampton Area High School; a memorial area at the high school, and donor bricks at Al Erdosy Stadium, the sale of which is to benefit the Konkrete Kids Educational Foundation.
The board voted unanimously at the July 28 meeting to approve an estimated $955,500 for the five projects.
NASD officials say the cost, which includes architect and engineering fees, will be taken from the project contingency fund and won't add to the overall cost.
The project contingency fund is $4.1 million. After the cost of the five projects is taken out, the contingency fund would be about $3.1 million.
"We believe that amount [$955,500] is going to come down to approximately $300,000," said NASD Superintendent Joseph Kovalchik.
The vote authorized school board President David Gogel, after review by the administration and NASD Solicitor C. Steven Miller, to enter into a contract under the state's cooperative purchase program for:
· The replacement of six poles and 66 lights with a four-pole system with 60 lights at a cost not to exceed $475,000 at the stadium. The contract includes a 25-year warranty on parts and labor with bulb replacement at the end of the lamps rated life (approximately 5,000 hours); and
· A four-pole system for the bus loop field at a cost not to exceed $350,000;
Also, the board voted to execute a middle school project change order for:
· The removal and replacement of the existing high school marquee along Laubach Avenue at a cost not to exceed $65,000. The sign will include a message board and identify the high school and middle school secondary campus;
· Creating a memorial area in the lawn at the high school cafeteria patio at a cost not to exceed $48,000. The memorial area will replace existing memorials that will be ruined and removed because of project construction; and
· The installation of donor pavers in the gathering area at the new stadium entrance at a cost not to exceed $17,500. The stadium entrance area will be broken up during project construction and will be restored with the donor pavers.