NASD girls tennis coach retires
The longtime Northampton Area School District girls tennis coach has been lauded at the acceptance of her resignation for retirement.
The resignation of Eileen Carbone as girls tennis head coach, effective June 24, was accepted with a unanimous voice vote at the July 14 NASD board meeting.
Carbone coached for 40 consecutive years. She was an NASD teacher for 35 years, before retiring.
"We thank her for her service," said NASD Superintendent Joseph Kovalchik.
"I had her for her first year of English teaching when I was in junior high school," said school board President David Gogel
The school board also voted 9-0 by voice to accept the resignation of Stefani Fink as assistant softball coach, effective June 23 and Jennifer Bauer, cafeteria monitor at Lehigh Elementary School, effective July 7.
The board voted 9-0 to approve a paid childbearing leave for Joanna Kish, Aug. 18-Sept. 11, and an unpaid childrearing leave, with benefits, Sept. 12-Nov. 19.
The board also voted 9-0 in a roll call to approve administrative and teaching appointments:
· Renee Sallit, assistant principal of the Borough Elementary Schools, effective July 21, at a salary of $74,000, prorated, with benefits;
· Re-appointment of Krista Ames to academic literacy coach funded by the Keystones To Opportunity Grant, effective Aug. 18 through the 2014-15 school year;
· Sean George, long-term substitute English teacher at Northampton Area High School, effective Aug. 18 for the 2014-15 school year at a salary of $46,050, with benefits;
· Nicole Rothrock, long-term first grade elementary teacher at Moore Elementary School, effective Aug. 18, 2014, for the first semester of the 2014-15 school year, at a salary of $46,050, prorated, without benefits;
· Julie Poniktera, short-term substitute fifth grade elementary teacher at Moore Elementary School, effective Aug. 18-Nov. 26, at an hourly rate of $18.02, without benefits;
· Contract between NASD and Paul Buechle as a psychoeducational evaluator, effective July 10-June 30, 2015, at $525 per completed evaluation, plus mileage, with a maximum allotment of $15,000;
· Athletic coaching staff members and stipends for the 2014-15 school year: Jeffrey Bernhard, assistant softball coach, $2,421; Kim Davis, girls tennis head coach, $4,686; David Faust, boys volleyball head coach, $5,396, and Joseph Sinkovich, assistant football coach, $5,935; and
· Barbara Watkins as a 10-month NASD office secretary for the 2014-15 school year with salary and benefits funded by the Keystones To Opportunity Grant;
The board also voted 9-0 in a roll call to:
· Approve a two-year agreement for student athletic trainers between NASD and St. Luke's University Hospital Network at a cost not to exceed $15,000 annually;
· Accept, with appreciation, the donation of 15 smocks to the Northampton Area Middle School wood technology department in memory of Nathan V. Amato for a total value of $109.71;
· Accept, with appreciation, the donation of $200 from Dr. Walter Schuster, DMD, for the Northampton Area School District Dental program; and
· Approve Noah Schafer as a full-time foreign exchange student at Northampton Area High School for the 2014-15 school year.