David Gogel was re-elected Northampton Area School Board president and Jennifer Miller was elected vice president Monday night.
Three new school board members, Roy J. Maranki, Charles F. Frantz, Jr. and Charles J. Longacre, and incumbent Judy Odenwelder, elected in the Nov. 5 election, were sworn in at the Dec. 2 reorganization meeting.
In the election for board president, Gogel received five votes, Director Dr. Michael Baird received two votes and Director Jean Rundle received two votes.
In the election for board vice president, Miller received five votes and Rundle received four votes.
School board member Darin Arthofer served as temporary board president, chairing the meeting until new board members were sworn in and officers elected.
"I'd like to thank everyone for being allowed to continue," Gogel said as he resumed his position as board president.
"The district has made a lot of great strides in the past few years," said NASD Superintendent Joseph Kovalchik, welcoming new board members. "The only way the district is going to move forward is if we work as a team. It doesn't mean we have to agree on everything."
New school board members are to meet with administrators Dec. 9, said Kovalchik, adding he believes the board and administration will move forward together.
Incumbent NASD school board members include Gogel, Miller, Arthofer, Rundle and Baird.
In other business Dec. 2, the reorganized board voted unanimously, 9-0, to appoint Baird to the Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 Board of Directors for a term running Dec. 11 through June 30, 2016.
The board also appointed Gogel and Arthofer to the Bethlehem Area Vocational Technical School Board of Directors. Gogel's term will run from now through Dec. 3, 2016 and Arthofer's term will run from now through Dec. 3, 2017.
Board committee appointments include the following:
· Contract negotiations – Arthofer, Odenwelder, Miller and Rundle.
· Employee benefit trust – Rundle.
· Expulsion hearings – Gogel, Miller, Frantz and Rundle.
· Facilities – Miller, Rundle, Longacre and Frantz.
· K-Kids Foundation – Maranki.
· Meet and discuss – Miller, Odenwelder and Rundle.
· Pennsylvania School Board Association liaison – Baird, with Arthofer as alternate.
· Policy – Odenwelder, Miller, Rundle and Maranki
· Public library liaison – Odenwelder.
· Safe School – Odenwelder, Miller and Frantz.
· Technology – Arthofer and Longacre.
· Act 83 – Baird, Odenwelder, Rundle and Arthofer.
Board meetings will continue to be held the second and fourth Mondays of the month, except for May and December, in the district administration building, 2014 Laubach Ave., Northampton.
The dates are as follows: Jan. 13, 27; Feb. 10, 24; March 10, 24; April 14, 28; May 5, 19; June 9, 23; July 14, 28; Aug. 11, 25; Sept. 8, 22; Oct. 13, 27, Nov. 10, 24; and Dec. 1 and 15.